Friday 2 October 2009

The Public

I notice that Fat Prophet popped into the Public over in West Bromwich yesterday and thought it was an interesting building with some potential. I get the impression that the Public is a bit like Walsall's art gallery in that some folk love it but the majority absolutely hate it - I always think its an interesting looking building and quite colourful, unlike the drab slab of concrete we have in Walsall.
If I am honest though I can understand some of the ill feeling against a building that has cost an enormous amount of money with it seems no real purpose in a town that lacks certain other amenities such as a swimming pool or a cinema. I could not believe that the Gala Baths where our school used to go to learn to swim is now a car park - I don't remember an outcry like the ones about Tipton or Coseley baths. Now! swimming lessons could well be the subject for another post.
I may have to pay a visit myself to the Public so I can see if Fat Prophet was just wearing some rose tinted glasses.

I think I will have to be careful this is two posts in two days

1 comment:

  1. I would suggest you do. Go with an open mind though. It is a superb venue for events like the Full of Life Festival. You miss the point about it's function when you start to make the comparisons you have. The building is part of an overall reconstruction of West Brom Town centre. If there is critisism it should be that it is perhaps five years to early to fulfill its full potential. And yes you are right I love it.

    ReplyDelete