Thursday 9 July 2009

Sickness at Walsall Council.

I have been reading about sickness levels at Walsall Council and as usual there is a very bad picture painted which would suggest that the average council employee has 12 days a year off sick.
What really annoys me as a former council employee is that no mention is ever made of those employees who never have a day off sick. In one office I worked in there were four of us who hadn't had a day off sick in six years and yet every year we were tarred with the brush of having and average of x number of days off a year.
How about someone giving some credit to those employees for whom this is the case - I am sure there will be a number of folk and I suspect they are as upset by the inference as I used to be.

3 comments:

  1. I can believe what you say about many many staff having NO days off sick. So how many days are some of the others having? Is this yet again another indication of poor supervision and management within Walsall Council. It's management that needs to be held accountable for this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think these figures are worth some sort of explanation and clarification. Part of the reason for such high figures if my experience is anything to go by is people who are off long term sick. If you have had a person off for six months that really does damage the figures and however many of the good guys there are they do unfortunately have very little impact on the figures.
    The organisation I work for now is constantly on the look out for ways to improve attendance and I am sure if there were some recognition when you have been at work every day - if only a certificate of attendance there might be some encouragement.

    ReplyDelete